Anyone without the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong who would like to stay in this city for employment must hold a valid working visa from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government (HKSARG). Skilled professionals outside Hong Kong are welcome to apply for a working visa through different admission schemes initiated by the Immigration Department of the HKSARG.
The HKSARG regularly reviews its immigration and population policies to keep up with the ever-changing global and local economic environment. By relaxing the stay arrangements to better the Admission Schemes, the HKSARG has enhanced its policy from time to time to recruit more talent and professionals from overseas to come to work and to encourage them to stay in Hong Kong.
Professionals from overseas (non-Mainland residents) who are interested to work in Hong Kong may apply under the GEP which has neither sector nor quota restriction.
Key requirements for this scheme include:
- Having secured a job relevant to his/her academic qualifications or work experience that cannot be readily taken up by the local workforce
- Remuneration package commensurate with the prevailing market rate
- Possessing good education background, technical qualifications or proven professional experience
Highly skilled or talented individuals who have not yet secured a job offer in Hong Kong but are interested to work in Hong Kong may apply under the QMAS which has also no sector restriction.
There are two points-based tests under the scheme:
Assessment factors include age, academic/professional qualifications, work experience, language proficiency and family background. Bonus points will be rewarded for outstanding academic background and international work experience.
Examples: Olympic medal, Nobel prize, national/international awards
It is a new visa scheme launched in 2015. The second generation of Chinese Hong Kong permanent residents from overseas may apply for entry into Hong Kong under ASSG. There is no sector restriction and no job offer is required upon entry.
Key requirements include:
- Aged 18-40; born overseas
- At least one parent holding valid Hong Kong permanent identity card upon application and being a Chinese national settled overseas at the time of applicant’s birth
- Good education background, technical qualifications or proven professional experience
- Proficient in written and spoken Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English
Both Chinese and English are the official languages in Hong Kong. In order to increase the exposure of Hong Kong students to English and enhance the teaching of English Language, a Native-speaking English Teacher (NET) Scheme has been implemented in Hong Kong secondary and primary schools since 1998 and 2002 respectively. The Education Bureau of Hong Kong conducts NET recruitment exercise annually to recruit qualified candidates for the selection and appointment by public-sector schools. The appointment will be on a two-year contract basis, normally subject to renewal after expiry.
The features of recruitment:
- The applicant should be a native-speaker of English or possess native-speaker English competence.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in teaching English as a second/foreign language.
- For appointment in special schools, preference will be given to applicants who have special education training and/or experience in teaching students with special educational needs.
For more details about NET, please visit: