Looking for Government Job Vacancies

The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government (HKSARG) offers numerous job opportunities with many of them suitable for new graduates who are Hong Kong permanent residents.

There are two types of government job vacancies – civil service and non-civil service. Civil service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these jobs will be recruited on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service. They will become civil servants upon appointment. Candidates appointed to non-civil service positions are not civil servants and will not be eligible for posting, promotion or transfer to any post within the civil service. They also have different terms of appointment and conditions of service.

Generally speaking, new recruits to either type of job must be permanent residents of Hong Kong. Both types of vacancies can be found online. The Government Vacancies Enquiry System covers both civil service and non-civil service openings. Government job vacancies can generally be found on individual departmental websites and may be advertised through local newspapers.

For more information about current government job vacancies for both civil service posts and non-civil service positions, the differences between them, and how to apply, please visit:

Applying for Government Job Vacancies

Most vacancies require applications to be made on Form G.F. 340. A copy of this form can be obtained at any Public Enquiry Service Centre of District Offices of the Home Affairs Department or any Job Centre of the Employment Services Division of the Labour Department in Hong Kong. The form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau’s website.

For more on application procedures, including application form and online application, please visit:

Qualification Requirements and Assessment

The qualification requirements for civil service posts normally refer to qualifications from the Hong Kong education system or from local institutions. However, non-local qualifications holders can still apply. Those will be considered if their qualifications are assessed as comparable in standard to the entry qualification requirements of the post being applied for.

For more details regarding the statement on qualifications assessment, please visit:

Recruitment Examinations

Applicants for civil service posts and non-civil service positions may be required to sit for a written examination and/or other examinations conducted by the recruiting grades / departments to assess their competencies in the requisite skills and attributes and hence their suitability for appointment. The need for an examination is usually spelt out in the recruitment advertisements.

Applicants for civil service posts at degree or professional level are generally required to take Use of English, Use of Chinese and Aptitude Test papers in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE), or equivalent. For civil service posts with general academic qualifications set below degree level, individual recruiting grades / departments will stipulate, in the relevant job advertisements, the language proficiency requirements of the posts concerned.

Also, for the purpose of heightening public awareness of the Basic Law (BL) and promoting a culture of learning of the BL in the community, applicants for civil service jobs will be assessed on their BL knowledge. The BL Test (BLT) result will be one of the considerations to assess the suitability of a candidate.

CRE and BLT will normally be scheduled twice a year in Hong Kong and once a year in overseas cities for the convenience of those studying or residing outside Hong Kong; cities include Beijing, London, San Francisco, New York, Toronto, Vancouver and Sydney.

For details, eligibility and schedule of application for the CRE and BLT, please visit: