Hong Kong’s Immigration Policy

Anyone without the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong who would like to stay in this city for employment must hold a valid working visa from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government (HKSARG). Skilled professionals outside Hong Kong are welcome to apply for a working visa through different admission schemes initiated by the Immigration Department of the HKSARG.

The HKSARG regularly reviews its immigration and population policies to keep up with the ever-changing global and local economic environment. By relaxing the stay arrangements to better the Admission Schemes, the HKSARG has enhanced its policy from time to time to recruit more talent and professionals from overseas to come to work and to encourage them to stay in Hong Kong.

Admission Schemes

General Employment Policy (GEP) - Professionals

Professionals from overseas (non-Mainland residents) who are interested to work in Hong Kong may apply under the GEP which has neither sector nor quota restriction.  

Key requirements for this scheme include:
  • Having secured a job relevant to his/her academic qualifications or work experience that cannot be readily taken up by the local workforce
  • Remuneration package commensurate with the prevailing market rate
  • Possessing good education background, technical qualifications or proven professional experience

For more details about GEP – Professionals, please visit:

Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS)
Admission Scheme for the Second Generation of Chinese Hong Kong Permanent Residents (ASSG)
Native-speaking English Teacher (NET) Scheme